Saturday, May 23, 2009

What I Hate About Line Dances

Having attended a dear friend's wedding, I have to express my disdain for line dances. That said, I also find them a necessary evil at weddings, because there are some people at weddings who just can't dance on their own. They have to be told what to do. Plus, never in a wedding will you see as many people on the dance floor as you will with a line dance.
Here's what I don't like about line dances:
1. You would think they would come up with another one atleast every year. It's not that hard. But year after year, wedding after wedding, these are the dances that guests are dancing to:
  • ChaCha Slide(really, it's the easiesy line dance ever and there are still people who cannot dance it, or for that matter, clap their hand to the beat which is being tapped out loudly just for you)
  • Macarina (did I even spell that right. This evil dance will get stuck in your head so fast you find your limbs automatically performing the moves for you, and the lyrics wills tay stuck in your head for hours after the reception has ended.)
  • Electric slide.(A favorite for old and young alike. You just do the moves in succession until you get bored or the song ends, and the boredom sets in about the 4tf time you rotate)

2. Line dances get boring FAST. Add something else to them for goodness sakes.

3. If you're white and you need a line dance song to dance, then you probably can't get the rhythm right in the first place. Therefore, it bothers me when no one can clap in time with the song.

That said, I am going to attempt to incorporate the following songs into my wedding, still line dances, but justa wee bit more interesting.

  • Cupid step(because it's not only a line dance, but a wonderful song in general)
  • Soldierboy( gives you a chance to throw your own moves in before coming back to the chorus, where the line dance is)
  • The cotton-eyed joe (My mom lived in Texas, and it is just fun watching good old southern people hopping around. Yes, you may have to learn this one before the wedding, but my goodness people will be so impressed when you pull this line dance out)

2 comments:

  1. ahaha soldier boy is awesome...although i can't do it to save my life. but for a wedding, that's epic XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. andrew did it at a wedding last year and it was so freaking funny

    ReplyDelete