Thursday, May 21, 2009

Our Little Home
















Before: A very bare room with no character and a hideous mirror.
After: A warm, Tuscany theme is applied to this small kitchen and every square inch of storage space is used.

After: A painted a Tuscan-themed backsplash to add to the overall theme of the room. It's so cozy and one of my favorite rooms in the house.


























Before: The room was large, but so bland.
After: We incorporated a Southwestern
color scheme to make you eye travel to the high ceilings and about the room. The couch and love seat are spread out, but it really opens up the room. The coffee table doubles as Andrew's and my dining table when we watch our favorite shows and eat.
After: We got that entertainment center for basically nothing at a consignment store down the street. It is made out of cherry wood and is just awesome. It adds a lot of storage. The walls are still a little bare, but we've done a lot for just living here about a month.



Before: This bathroom was almost a deal-breaker for me. The wallpaper gave me headaches and made the room just seem so tiny. The garish light above was very cold. This bathroom was just stuck in the '80's when the condo was first built.











After: My favorite makeover in all of the house. We took down all the wall paper and painted it a light blue. We then took down the 80's fixture and mirror and purchased oil-rubbed bronze fixtures for the lights and the toilet paper and towel bars, as well as installed a beautiful black-framed mirror. The flooring was easy, done with a linoleum white marble tile that could be cut with scissors. It compliments the counter top. We also painted the cabinet black to match the fixtures. This room just has a great Parisian theme that I carried out through the black and white photographs and the artwork that is the focal point of the room.














Before: The master was humongous, but I wasn't loving the
yellow-ish color on the walls.
After: I lightened up the color of the walls to a more creamy
color, and carried over the blue, black, and white color scheme into the bedroom. The black chandelier, which showcases the Parisian theme, I bought at Wal-Mart 3 years ago and never got to use it until now. Andrew gives me grief about it, because a fan would have been more practical, but I think it's pretty. The bed is so comfy and all the furniture is recycled from my old childhood room, I just gave it a coat of fresh paint and it has gone from girly to refined.

We did it all on a $2,000 budget, mostly recycling materials and buying at sales. Our contractor, my Uncle Mike, was spectacular, especially with putting up the crown moulding. It is just a great house!

No comments:

Post a Comment