Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Miracle of Family

Yesterday, my family and I attended my Papa's funeral. Tuesday, as you probably know, was one of the worst days ever. My mom asked me Wednesday night to sing at his funeral and I was able to figure out the perfect song to perform. If you have ever heard "I'll Be Seeing You," you know how beautiful of a song it is. It emboddied my Papa and Nana's love for one another and now that they are finally in Heaven together, I know Papa is happier than ever. So I set to rehearsing the song.

I seriously thought that I was going to be able to get through the song yesterday. After beautiful things said from my cousin John, and my uncles Hoyt and Randy, my mom went up and talked about Papa. I asked Mel and Mom to stay up there with me as I sang. The song started out fine.

There is a zone that every experienced performer is able to go into. They are focused, able to keep their eye on the goal through this focusing technique. The key is to keep your eyes focused on one thing. My focal point was the clock at the back of the sanctuary. The song began and I thought for a split second that I was actually going to get through it.

Then I made a huge mistake. My eyes-and thoughts-shifted and then came the tears. I couldn't stop and I choked. But Mom was there to help me sing the song. And then someone in the congregation began to hum and then a few more voices began to sing. The sound grew louder and it got me through to the end, when I was able to make a comeback and finish the song. It was beautiful. And I was just so grateful, because my family is so different from any other family. The way we have grown together is something other people marvel at. And I know that matter what happens, my family will always be there for me to help me when I am choking up and can't go any further. I love my family.

1 comment: